FEMA Information


Tulane Hurricane Katrina Update #1

It is very important that each member of the Tulane community register with FEMA for assistance as you are considered a displaced person because of the mandatory evacuation orders. This registration makes available certain programs and financial aid under FEMA’s Individuals and Households Program (IHP). Even if you choose never to access this support it is still critical for you to register.

You can register with FEMA by calling 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) (hearing/speech impaired ONLY – call 1-800-462-7585). You can also register online by visiting www.fema.gov and clicking on the “Online Individual Assistance Center.”

When you call or register online, in addition to having a pen and paper please have the following information ready to give to the person who takes your call:

• Your Social Security Number.
• A description of your losses caused by the disaster.
• Insurance Information.
• Directions to your damaged property.
• A telephone number where you can be contacted.

When you apply over the phone, the information you provide is put into the computer and an application is generated. At this point you will be provided a FEMA application number. It is very important to write this number down, because for any follow up call you will need this number.

If you have questions AFTER you have applied for assistance or if the information you provided has changed, call the FEMA Helpline at 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) (hearing/speech impaired ONLY—call 1-800-462-7585). When you call, have your application number ready. This number will be given to you when you apply and will be on all mail sent to you from FEMA.

Among the immediate help that is available:

FEMA Temporary Housing Program

Transitional Housing Assistance – This is a new program within FEMA’s Individual Assistance (IA) program that provides funds based on fair market value in the impacted area for 3 months rent on an apartment or house. If an individual needs additional temporary housing funds at the end of 3 months, an application can be made for additional funds by contacting the FEMA help line. These funds cannot be used for paying hotel expenses. Remember to keep all receipts from rent paid for documentation.

Transient Housing Assistance – This program provides assistance to individuals to cover temporary housing expenses incurred in hotels and motels. Remember to keep all receipts for documentation as it will become a part of your application for Individual Assistance as discussed below.

Recently FEMA sent checks for transitional housing assistance (approximate amount was $2350.00) to individuals who had already registered. If you have registered and did not receive a check, you need to call the FEMA Help Line (number listed below). This program applies to both Mississippi and Louisiana.

Return to the Tulane home page