Why Study Portuguese?
Portuguese is the sixth most commonly spoken language in the world today. It is spoken in Brazil, the largest nation of Latin America, five African nations, various enclaves in Asia, and in Portugal.
Top ten reasons for studying Portuguese:
10) It’s the language of Brazil, the 6th largest country in the world with the 8th largest economy
9) Ever-expanding trade relations between Brazil and the United States
8) The genius of Brazilian film from Cinema Novo to "City of God"
7) Amazon Basin: the largest single reserve of biological organisms in the world
6) Splendid architecture: from colonial capital Salvador, Bahia to Brasília, a monument to the high modernist International style
5) Afro-Brazilians constitute the largest black population of the New World
4) The brilliance of Brazilian soccer-- the only national team to five World Cups
3) Renowned authors Jorge Amado, Machado de Assis, João Guimarães Rosa, Clarice Lispector, and Portuguese writer José Saramago, recipient of 1998 Nobel Prize for Literature
2) Rio de Janeiro: the "marvelous city" with the largest and most famous pre-Lenten carnival in the world
1) Finally understand and sing along with all of those great Brazilian songs!
Portuguese Language Courses:
PORT 112: Intensive Portuguese
PORT 203: Intermediate Level
PORT 325: Conversation and Composition
Advanced literature and culture courses listed under the Brazilian Studies Minor.