About GSSA Event Funding
The Graduate Student Studies Association (GSSA) Event funding is granted only to departments in good standing with GSSA, through an active representative. You can check the standing of your department here and find your department's active representatives here. If your department is not eligible or you do not have an active representative, please contact the GSSA President.
Your department may request funding for multiple events over the course of the year. All event requests will be approved by the GSSA assembly by a majority vote. If approved, all publicity for the event must acknowledge the sponsorship of GSSA
We strongly recommend having your department fund the speaker, and reimbursing your department directly to avoid any delays in processing paperwork. To pay your department by an Interdepartmental Transfer, please fill out a Transfer of Funds form from the Tulane Accounting Management Systems. Your department administrators or the Treasurer can help you with the form.
If you have any questions about the process, please contact the GSSA Treasurer directly.
How to Apply for Event Funding
1. All events must be approved at a GSSA meeting prior to the event. New to this year, deadlines meant to allow the GSSA treasurer turn in paperwork in a timely fashion are being removed. This means that as long as the application is received before the deadline the event will be brought up before GSSA for a vote. However, this also means that representatives are responsible for taking care of any necessary paperwork at least 3 weeks in advance. Use the Social Event Guide to determine what paperwork is necessary.
2. Place an Online Event Request at least 4 days before the GSSA Meeting Date. Late requests will not be included in the agenda, and will not be brought up for a vote. For example, all event requests for a Thursday meeting would need to be placed before 11:59 p.m. on the preceding Sunday.
3. For recurring events, such as weekly or monthly meetings, a separate request must be placed for each event.
4. If the amount requested for an event is greater than $250, an itemized budget for the event must be sent to the GSSA Treasurer when the request is submitted. Lack of an approved itemized budget will lead to the omission of the event from the agenda.
5. Please be available for communication via e-mail in the days leading up to the meeting, in case the Treasurer needs to contact you with any last-minute questions regarding your event.
6. You must come to the meeting, and should be prepared to give a brief description of the event, amount and reason for request, as well as answer any questions about the event. If you cannot make the meeting, you should notify the Treasurer, and find a proxy or another Representative to fill in for you at the meeting. Failure to have someone to present the event at the meeting will result in it being pulled from the agenda.
7. If your event request is approved, you will receive news of this approval and future status updates/directions from firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that this is an automated account, so do not direct any questions or replies to it.
8. GSSA cannot under any circumstances reimburse an individual student for alcohol purchases if the organization has not followed and complied with proper event registration procedure with the Office of Student Programs. This is a very lengthy and involved process, so start early.
How to Get Reimbursed for an Event
1. Follow the checklist provided by the Event Reimbursement Checklist. Please follow the examples provided to avoid incorrectly-filled out or incomplete packets.
3. All reimbursement forms and materials must be signed by an active departmental representative. No exceptions will be made.
4. All materials must be submitted 30 days after the event. No exceptions will be made without approval before the event.