About GSSA/OGPS Travel Funding
The Graduate Student Studies Association / Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies Travel Awards are granted to graduate students at Tulane. This program does not fund postdoctoral researchers. If you are looking for postdoctoral travel grants, please go here.
This travel award only covers registration and transportation expenses. Note that if you are planning to rent a car and/or be reimbursed for mileage (even in your personal vehicle) you must be a Tulane authorized driver. The combined funding caps are as follows:
Travel Award Amounts:
- Up to $500 once per year OR $250 twice per year for presenting at a conference.
- Up to $200 once per year for attending a conference, which can be combined with one $250 presenting award in a year.
- Additionally, funding will be given out in discreet application periods, as shown below. Available funding for a period will be proportionally split between all applicants in that period.
- For the purposes of Travel Funding, once per year refers to the Academic Year, which runs from September 1 to August 31.
To Apply for Travel Funding:
1. Please refer to the Application Period Chart provided below before applying for the award online.
|Application Period Chart|
|Conference Start Date||Application Deadline|
|September 1 - December 31||August 15th|
|January 1 - April 30||December 15th|
|May 1 - August 31||April 15th|
2. All decisions will be made within 2 weeks of the application deadline. If you do not yet have confirmation of your presentation, your award will be pending acceptance of your abstract.
3. If your travel award application is approved, you will receive news of this approval and future status updates/directions from firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that this is an automatic administrative account, so do not direct any queries to this account.
To Get Reimbursed for Travel Funding:
The GSSA Travel Award can only be used for conference registration and travel (plane fare, gas, etc.). Food and Lodging expenses WILL NOT BE reimbursed.
1. To receive reimbursement for a "presenting award", you must include a conference program or some item to prove that you, in fact, presented.
2. All reimbursement forms and materials must be signed by an active departmental representative. No exceptions will be made.
3. All materials must be turned in within
4. For reimbursements for conferences January 1, 2014 and on, paperwork will be processed by Ashley Robison in the Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (200 Gibson Hall)
5. Please assemble your reimbursement packet as indicated on the Travel Reimbursement Checklist. The Travel Itemization Form should be filled out according to the example. Please do not put your SSN on forms.
In case of any questions or concerns, please contact the Treasurer directly.