About GSSA/OGPS Travel Funding
The Graduate Student Studies Association / Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies Travel Awards are granted to graduate students at Tulane. This program does not fund postdoctoral researchers. If you are looking for postdoctoral travel grants, please go to the Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies.
You must have an active departmental representative sign travel reimbursement forms. You can check the standing of your department here and find your department's active representatives here. If you do not have an active representative, please contact the GSSA President.
This travel award only covers registration and transportation expenses. Note that if you are planning to rent a car and/or be reimbursed for mileage (even in your personal vehicle) you must be a Tulane authorized driver. The combined funding caps are as follows:
Travel Award Amounts:
- Up to $500 once per year OR $250 twice per year for presenting at a conference.
- Up to $200 once per year for attending a conference, which can be combined with one $250 presenting award request in a year.
- Additionally, funding will be given out in discreet application periods, as shown below. Available funding for a period will be proportionally split between all applicants in that period.
- For the purposes of Travel Funding, once per year refers to the Academic Year, which runs from September 1 to August 31.
- Travel grants are rarely funded in full. Most students recieve 50% - 80% of requested funds. Grants are alloted based on the number of students who apply.
Please always seek multiple sources of funding for your travel. Awards that go unused are able to be used to help others.
To Apply for Travel Funding:
1. Please refer to the Application Period Chart provided below before applying for the award online.
|Application Period Chart|
|Conference Start Date||Application Deadline|
|September 1 - December 31||August 15th|
|January 1 - April 30||December 15th|
|May 1 - August 31||April 15th|
2. All decisions will be made within 2 weeks of the application deadline. If you do not yet have confirmation of your presentation, your award will be pending acceptance of your abstract.
3. If your travel award application is approved, you will receive news of this approval and future status updates/directions from firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that this is an automatic administrative account, so do not direct any queries to this account.
If you must make changes to your award (you will no longer be presenting, you are unable to attend, you wish to shift your award to another conference), email OGPS@tulane.edu and the GSSA Treasurer ASAP. Changes are not accepted after the conference has proceeded.
To Get Reimbursed for Travel Funding:
The GSSA Travel Award can only be used for conference registration and travel (plane fare, gas, etc.). Food and Lodging expenses WILL NOT BE reimbursed.
1. To receive reimbursement for a "presenting award", you must include a conference program or some item to prove that you, in fact, presented.
2. Please neatly assemble your reimbursement packets as indicated on the Travel Reimbursement Checklist. The Travel Itemization Form should be filled out listing all sources of funding within Tulane, but the amount requested must be the amount agreed upon by GSSA. You must sign the form!
Follow the checklist and travel itemization form examples. Please do not put your SSN on forms for GSSA.
3. All reimbursement forms and materials must be signed by an active GSSA departmental representative. No exceptions will be made.
4. All materials must be turned in within
5. All travel paperwork will be processed by Jennifer O'Brien in the Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (200 Gibson Hall). Please make sure your packet (2 copies) goes to the desk attendant in 200 Gibson. You will receive an email when your check is available for pick-up.
In case of any questions or concerns, please contact the President or Treasurer directly.