Find a Book/Journal
Public Health Resources
Point of Care
Ask a Librarian!
My Library Account
Renew a Book
History and Archives
The Medical Library's historical collections are housed in the History and Archives and
Derbes Rooms and are accessible by permission only. To request access to these collections, contact the Medical Library.
- Rudolph Matas Collection - historical books and research, personal and professional memorabilia and artifacts from the reknown surgeon and
Medical Library benefactor
Certificates, and Awards
- The Louisiana Physicians File - newpaper clippings collection (primarily
obituaries) of Louisiana physicians; many older files contain bibliographies
- Medical Art and Portraits Collection - prints, reproductions of
works of art with medical themes
- Medical Memorabilia and Ephemera including matriculation
tickets, surgical instruments
- Elizabeth Bass
Collection on Women in Medicine - newspaper clippings, pictures,
photographs, glass magic lantern slides, books, medical school catalogs
- Weinstein Medallion
Collection - medals issued in honor of individuals or commemorating
a momentous event, disease, hospital, school or society; donated by
Bernard Weinstein, M.D.
- Light Autograph Collection - correspondence and memoranda with autographs
of renowned scientists; donated by David S. Light, M.D. (alumnus,
Tulane University School of Medicine, 1944)
- General Hospital Unit 24 Collection - artifacts and photos of the
"Tulane Unit" from its service during World War II
- John Joseph Archinard Collection - personal and professional artifacts
and memorabilia of John Joseph Archinard, M.D. (alumnus, Tulane University
School of Medicine, 1926), including service in World War II, a medical
bag with instruments and more
- James L. Griffin Collection - artifacts and memorabilia related
to the career of James McArthur Griffin, M.D. (alumnus, Tulane University
School of Medicine, 1921) including notebooks, manuals, haemacytometer
Library of E.C. Faust - historic works from the library of Earnest
Carroll Faust, Ph.D (head of Parasitology, Tulane University School of
Medicine, 1928 - 1956)
The Medical Library's military history collecton contains many works
and artifacts from throughout American history, including Confederate imprints.
Of particular interest to American Civil War researchers is Medical
and Surgical History of the War of the Rebellion (1861-65). An index
for this work is available from the Medical Reference Department.
- Tulane University Special Collections Division - home site for Tulane's University Archives, Jazz Archives,
Rare Books, Louisiana Collection, Architectural Archives, and Manuscripts Department.
- Tulane Potpourri - a compilation of people and places relating to the history of the university, courtesy of Tulane Alumni Affairs.