The Music Department is located in the
Brandt V.B. Dixon Performing Arts Center where most of the classes and lessons are held. It contains a large concert hall seating 1000 persons, a recital hall seating 180, and the Weinmann Patio Theatre for outdoor events. Another performance venue for the Music Department is the
Myra Clare Rogers Memorial Chapel seating 120 and housing a fine chamber organ. The new wing of the Center contains the Bass Choral Hall, the band and orchestral rehearsal hall, teaching studios, and practice rooms.
The Maxwell Music Library is one of the finest music research library in the south. Located in the university's Howard Tilton Memorial Library, the facility is well equipped with the latest technology for listening, viewing, reading, and research. It contains approximately 20,000 books and periodicals, 20,000 musical scores, and 20,000 recordings. Many music classes are held in the library so students can learn directly from these valuable materials. Across the street, in
Jones Hall, is the Hogan Jazz Archive, one of the world's most important centers for the study of jazz, blues, gospel, and other popular American music of the past 100 years.