- Visit the National Hurricane Center web site at: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/,
Find the answers to the following questions (hint - many,
but not all,
answers can be found in the NOAA: Hurricane Facts link near the bottome of the page):
- List the 10 Hurricanes that have caused the most deaths in the United States
since 1900. Give the estimated death toll for each. Make sure you only include hurricanes since 1900 (1
- List the top ten hurricanes that have been the most costly in the U.S.since 2000.
Give the name of the storm, states affected, year of the storm, and dollar amounts
in 2013 dollars for each. (1 point)
- During a hurricane are you supposed to have the windows and doors on the storm side
closed and the windows and doors on the lee side open? Explain your answer.
- In the southern Atlantic Ocean, hurricanes are almost
non-existent. What reasons can you find for this? (1
- Why do hurricanes hit the East coast of the U.S., but not the
West coast? (1
- Has a hurricane ever hit the west coast of the United States?
If so, where, and when what are the implications of this considering
the earth appears to be undergoing a warming cycle? (1
- What are the chances (probability) that New Orleans will receive a direct hit from a
hurricane or tropical storm in any given year? (1 point).
- Which part of the United States has the highest probability of
direct hit from a hurricane or tropical storm in any given year? (1 point)