LAWRENCE N. POWELL
Department of History
Executive Director, The National Center for the Urban Community
New Orleans, LA 70118
University of Maryland, 1963-1967, B. A. in history
Yale University, 1967-1970, M. Phil. in American history
Yale University, 1970-1976, Ph.D., the American Civil War and Reconstruction
1975-1977 Assistant Editor, the Frederick Douglass Papers, Yale University
1977-1978 Associate Editor, the Frederick Douglass Papers, Yale University
1976-1978 Lecturer, Yale University
1978-1980 Assistant Professor of History, Tulane University
1980-1998 Associate Professor of History, Tulane University
1998- Professor of History, Tulane University
1998- Director, Tulane/Xavier Campus Affiliates Program
2000- Executive Director, The National Center for the Urban Community
- Co-editor, The Frederick Douglass Papers, Series One: Speeches, Debates, and Interviews. Volume One: 1841-1846 (Yale University Press, 1979).
- New Masters: Northern Planters During the Civil War and Reconstruction (New Haven: Yale University Press, 1980, 1999).
- Frederick Law Olmsted, The Cotton Kingdom (1861). Edited and with an intro. by Lawrence N. Powell. (Random House, 1984).
- Co-Editor, The Encyclopedia of the Confederacy. 4 Volumes. (New York: Simon & Schuster, 1993).
- with Philip Gould, Louisiana's Capitols: The Power and the Beauty (Lafayette: Galerie Press, 1995)
- Troubled Memory: Anne Levy, the Holocaust, and David Duke's Louisiana (Chapel Hill: UNC Press, 2000)
- Editor, Reconstructing Louisiana: Volume VI: Louisiana Purchase Bicentennial Series in Louisiana History (Lafayette: USL Press, forthcoming [ca. 2002])
- "Rejected Republican Incumbents in the 1866 Congressional Nominating Conventions: A Study in Reconstruction Politics," in Civil War History, 19 (Sept. 1973)
- Reprinted in Robert P. Swierenga, ed., Beyond the Civil War Synthesis (Westport, CT: Greenwood, 1975) and Joel H.Silbey, ed., The Congress of the United States (New York: Carlson Publishing, 1991).
- "The American Land Company and Agency: John A. Andrew and the Northernization of the South," Civil War History XXII (December, 1975).
- "Politics of Livelihood: Carpetbaggers in the Deep South," in Morgan Kousser and James McPherson, eds., Race, Region, and Reconstruction: Essays in Honor of C. Vann Woodward (New York: Oxford University Press, 1982).
- Reprinted in Michael Perman, ed., Major Problems in the Civil War and Reconstruction (D.C. Heath & Co.: Lexington, MA, 1991)
- With Michael S. Wayne, "Self-Interest and the Decline of Confederate Nationalism," in Harry P. Owens and James J. Cooke, eds., The Old South In The Crucible Of War (Jackson, MS.: University Press of Mississippi, 1983).
- Introduction to Frederick Law Olmsted, The Cotton Kingdom (1861 ).
- "The Prussians are Coming: Review Essay," Georgia Historical Quarterly, 72 (Winter l987)
- "Correcting for Fraud: The Mississippi Ratification Election of l868," Journal of Southern History 65 (Nov. l989)
- "A Concrete Symbol," Southern Exposure (Winter l990)
- "Read My Liposuction," The New Republic (Oct. l5, l990)
- "Slouching toward Baton Rouge: The Legislative Election of David Duke," Douglas Rose, ed., David Duke: Action and Reaction (University of North Carolina Press, 1992)
- Essays on Benjamin Butler, Thomas O. Moore, Thomas J. Semmes, New Orleans, and Louisiana, in the Encylcopedia of the Confederacy (New York: Simon & Schuster, 1993)
- "Capitol Wanderings," in Louisiana Life (Summer, 1995), 40-6.
- "On Capitol Grounds," in Louisiana Cultural Vistas (Summer, 1995), 8-19, 38.
- "Background to the Holocaust," in ibid., 21-2.
- "Louisiana's Carnival Politics," in Reckon: The Magazine of Southern Culture (Fall, 1995), 58-61.
- Essays on Charles Sumner and John A. Andrew in the Bibilographical Dictionary of the Union (forthcoming)
- "When Hate Came to Town," American Jewish History, Volume 85, Number 4 (December 1997), 393-419.
- "Reinventing Tradition: Liberty Place, Historical Memory, and
Silk-Stocking Vigilantism in New Orleans Politics," Slavery & Abolition, 20: 1 (1999)
- "Huey Long," in the Violence in America: An Encyclopedia, Ronald Gottesman, ed.(New York : Scribner, 1999)
- "C. Vann Woodward, 1908-1999," Journal of Southern History 76 (May 2000)
HONORS AND AWARDS:
Eggleston Prize in American History, Yale University (1976)
Tulane University Council on Research Summer Grant (1980)
Tulane Associated Student Body Award for Teaching Excellence (1981)
American Council of Learned Societies Fellowship (1982) -- declined
Governor's Award, Yale University Press (1982)
Honors Program Professor of the Year (1984-85)
Hackney Award -- Tulane Professor of the Year (1984-85)
Tulane University Council on Research Summer Grant (1993)
Leo Wasserman Prize for best article in American Jewish History--1997-98
Encylclopedia of the Confederacy Prizes:
Lewis Wasserman Prize for best article in American Jewish History, 1997
- Library Journal--1993 Best Reference Source
- American Association of Publishers, Professional and Scholarly Division--Best History Book, 1993
- American Library Association-Outstanding Reference Source for 1993
- History Book Club Selection-Winter 1994
- Douglas Southall Freeman Award-Military Order of the Stars and Bars
"George Washington Lucas Community Service Award"-NAACP New Orleans Branch
"Louisiana Humanist of the Year for 1999"-Louisiana Endowment for the Humanities
Lillian Smith Book Prize, Southern Regional Council, 2000
The Kemper and Leila Williams Book Prize from the Louisiana Historical Association for 2000
Booklist "Ten Best Books on the Holocaust for 2000"
Finalist, National Jewish Book Award, 2000.
- Presented a paper at the 1975 Annual Conference of the Organization of American Historians, Boston, Massachusetts.
- Presented a paper at the 1978 Georgia State Studies Symposium, Atlanta, Georgia.
- Participated and presented a paper at the Black Historical Editing Symposium, Durham, North Carolina, Feb. 1979.
- Presented a paper at the 1979 Southern Historical Association, Atlanta, Georgia.
- Presented a paper at the Area Studies Seminar, March, 1981, UNO, New Orleans, LA.
- Presented a paper at the annual Chancellor's Symposium in Southern history, University of Mississippi, October 1981.
- Presented a paper at the 1984 Annual Meeting of the Organization of American Historians, Los Angeles, California.
- Presented a paper at the Southern History Colloquium, University of California, Irvine, June 1985.
- Presented a paper to the Department of History, University of Toronto, Oct. l986.
- Presented a paper at the annual meeting of the Louisiana Historical Association, Mar. l989.
- Presented a paper at the Citadel Conference on Southern Politics in the l990s (Charleston, SC, l990)
- Presented a talk, "The Abusable Past: The White League Tradition and New Orleans Politics," Inaugural Conference: Tulane-Cambridge Atlantic World Studies Group," Tulane University, New Orleans, (Nov. 21-23, 1996)
- Presented a talk at the American Association for Higher Education, San Diego, January 24, 1999
- Presented a talk at the Organization of American Historians, Toronto, Canada, April 25, 1999
- Presented Talk at University of Toronto, as part of F. Ross Johnson/Connaught Distinguished Speaker Series, Toronto, Canada (February 2, 2001)
I have published reviews in the American Historical Review; the Journal of American
History; the Journal of Southern History; Civil War History; The Historian; Louisiana
History; Florida Historical Quarterly; Georgia Historical Quarterly; the Journal of
Economic History; Slavery & Abolition; Gulf Coast Historical Review; The Progressive;
the Nation, and the New Orleans Times-Picayune.
COURSES TAUGHT AT TULANE:
- HISU 141--U.S. History, from Colonial Period to 1865.
- HISU 142 (Honors)--U.S. History, 1865 to Present
- HISU 348--Louisiana History
- HISU 349--Coming of the American Civil War
- HISU 350--The American Civil War and Reconstruction
- HISU 440--American Race Relations
- HISU 648--Industrial America
- HISE 691/692--Special Topics in the Holocaust
- HISE 642--Readings in the Holocaust
- HISU 790--The Sectional Crisis
- HISU 799--Louisiana History
UNIVERSITY/FACULTY/DEPARTMENT COMMITTEE SERVICE:
- Member of the A & S Honor Board, 1978-1980
- Member of the A & S Senate Committee on Student Financial Aid, 1979-1981
- Member, Faculty Senate Educational Policy Committee, 1980-
- Member, Executive Committee, Phi Beta Kappa, 1982-3
- Chairman, Committee on Fellowships and Scholarships, 1983-85
- Chairman, Select Committee on Intercollegiate Athletics, 1985-86
- President Phi Beta Kappa, l986-87
- Member, Committee on Men's Intercollegiate Basketball, l987-88
- Member, Senate Budget Review Committee, l986-8
- Member, Board of Directors, Amistad Research Center, l986-92.
- Member Academic Performance Committee, University College, l989-
- Co-Chair, ACSEPT Committee
- Member, Newcomb College Committee, 1996-98.
- Member, Urban Village Planning Committee, 1998-99
- Member, Evaluation Committee for School of Social Work Dean, Suzanne England
- Member, Strategic Planning Committee on Community Building, 1999
- Member of Curriculum Committee, l978-l980
- Chairman, Library Committee, l980-82
- Chairman, Southern History Job Search, l980-8l
- Convener, Americanist subdiscipline, l984-85
- Member, Executive Committee, l984-85
- Member, Graduate Studies Committee, l987-90
- Convener, Americanist subdiscipline, l994-98
- Member, Executive Committee, l994-95
- Co-Chair, Social and Cultural History Job Search, 1997-98
- Member, Southern History Job Search, 1999
RESEARCH SUPPORT FROM NON-UNIVERSITY SOURCES:
OTHER MAJOR ACTIVITIES:
- American Philosophical Society Summer Grant (1980)
- John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation Fellowship (1982-83)
- Louisiana Endowment for the Humanities Research Grant (1993)
- Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) (1998-2000)
- National Endowment for the Humanities, Regional Humanities Center Planning Grant (1999)
- Chairman of a session of the 1980 American Historical Association Convention, Washington, D. C.
- Chairman of a session of the 1977 Annual Conference of the Association of Canadian Studies in The United States, Burlington, Vermont.
- Chairman of a session at the Conference on "Science in the Old South," University of Mississippi, March 1982.
- Commentator at a session of the Canadian Association for American Studies, Montreal, Oct. l986.
- Commentator at a session of the annual meeting of the Southern Historical Association, New Orleans, Nov. l987.
- Commentator at a session of the l989 Organization of American Historians, April., St. Louis, MO.
- Chair and commentator at a session of the l994 Organization of American Historians, April., Atlanta, GA.
- Member, Program Committee, Southern Historical Association. (1992)
- Historical Consultant, "Backlash" a PBS documentary on David Duke and the Politics of Race
- Chair, "The Politics of Disfranchisement in the South, 1890-1908," Annual Meeting of the Organization of American Historians, April, 1994
- Historical Consultant, From Sea to Shining Sea: Louisiana. By
Dennis and Judith Fradin. Chicago: Children's Press, 1995.
- Commentator, "Plessy After 100 Years," annual meeting of the Southern Historical Association, New Orleans, Nov. l995.
- Chair, "African American Leaders and the Struggle for Full Citizenship in the Nineteenth Century," annual meeting of the American Historical Association, January, 1996.
- Member, Frank L. and Harriet C. Owsley Book Award Committee, the Southern Historical Association, 1996-7.
- Evaluated manuscripts for various university presses (LSU, Cambridge, UNC, University of South Carolina, etc.) and several professional journals.
- Presented talk at AAHE annual meeting, January 1999, San Diego, CA
- Expert Witness, "East Jefferson Coalition v. Parish of Jefferson," (l987).
- Expert Witness, "Fifth Ward Coalition v. Jefferson Parish School Board" (l988).
- Expert Witness, "Hays v. Louisiana" (l993).
- Expert Witness, "Theriot v. Jefferson Parish, Louisiana" (l996/97).
- Member, Governor's Task Force on Disparities in State Procurement. (1989)
- Member, Board of Directors, Project P.R.E.P., Jefferson Parish. (1989)
- Conference Chair, "The Continuing American Dilemma," a national civil rights conference, New Orleans (Nov. l0-l3, l989).
- Co-founder, Vice Chair, and Board of Directors, Louisiana Coalition Against Racism and Nazism (1990-2).
- Co-founder and Board Chairman, Southern Institute for Education and Research (1992-present)
- Member, Board of Directors, Friends of New Orleans Cemeteries, 2000-
- Member, Workforce Investment Board, City of New Orleans, 2001-
- Judge, United States Holocaust Museum National Writing Contest (1993).
- Presented Talk, "Surviving the Holocaust," at McNeese State University BANNERS SERIES (March 13, 1995).
- Speeches to Chevra Thilim Synagogue, September 8, 1995, and the New Orleans Jewish Community Center, Nov. 12, 1995, concerning the Holocaust.
- Conference Chair, "When the Future Was the Past: The Plessy Decision and its Aftermath," a national civil rights conference, New Orleans, LA. May 17-18, 1996.
- Presented Talk at Jefferson Parish Public Library (May 1, 1997) on the Holocaust.
- Conducted workshop at Southern Institute teacher workshop (July 1997) on antisemitism.
- Presented Talk at Old State Capitol (November 12, 1997) on the Holocaust.
- Presented Talk at Tikvat Shalom Synagogue (February 17, 1998) on the Holocaust
- Conducted Teachers' Workshop on the Holocaust at the New Orleans Museum of Art (December 7, 1999)
- Presented Talk at Shir Chadash Synagogue (December 11, 1999) on the Holocaust
- Presented Talk at Touro Synagogue (May 19, 2000) New Orleans, LA on the Holocaust
- Presented Talk at Beth Israel Synagogue (May 21, 2000) New Orleans, LA on the Holocaust
- Presented Talk at Bibelot Book Store (July 13, 2000) Baltimore, MD, on the Holocaust
- Presented Talk at Loudoun County Public Library (July 15, 2000) Leesburg, VA on the Holocaust
- Presented Talk at Barnes & Noble (August 22, 2000) Atlanta, GA on the Holocaust
- Presented Talk at Touro Synagogue Sisterhood (September 12, 2000) on the Holocaust
- Presented Talk at University Of South Alabama (September 21, 2000) Mobile, AL on the Holocaust
- Served on Panel at Faulkner "Words and Music" Festival (September 23, 2000) New Orleans, LA
- Presented Talk at Congregation Ahavas Chesed (September 22, 2000) Mobile, AL on the Holocaust
- Presented Talk at Hadassah "Meeting of the Minds" (October 11, 2000) New Orleans, LA on the Holocaust
- Presented Talk at "Humanities West" (October 21, 2000) San Francisco, CA on "New Orleans in 1900"
- Presented Talks at Country Day School (October 23, 2000) New Orleans, LA on the Holocaust
- Presented Talk at Houston Jewish Book Fair (November 2, 2000) Houston, Texas on the Holocaust
- Presented Talk at Southern Jewish Historical Society Annual Meeting (November 5, 2000) Cincinnati, Ohio on the Holocaust
- Board Member, Project Return (2001-present)
- Presented Talk at Aspen Community Institute, Aspen, CO (January 12, 2001)
- Presented Talk at Holy Blossom Synagogue, Toronto, Canada (February 1, 2001)
- Presented Talk at Entre Nous Book Club, Metairie, LA (February 9. 2001)
- Presented Talk at Louise McGehee School, March 6, 2001.
- Presented Talk at "Allergists for Israel," New Orleans Hilton Hotel, New Orleans, LA, March 16, 2001
- Presented Talk at Northwestern University, History Department Symposium, Chicago, IL, April 22, 2001
- Presented Talk at Center for Race Politics & Culture, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL, April 22, 2001
- Presented Talk at Department of History and Department of Jewish Studies, University of California at San Diego, San Diego, CA May 15, 2001
- Luncheon Banquet Address, Friends of Amistad, New Orleans, LA, June 23, 2001