Thursday April 4, 1861
During the same afternoon, Lincoln was handed a letter from Major Anderson, dated April 1, estimating that at best he had rations to last "about a week longer"! Anderson, still expecting to be withdrawn, had not placed his command on short rations.
After taking leave of Fox, Lincoln immediately dispatched a reply to Anderson that a relief expedition "will go forward." He urged Anderson to hold out if possible until the arrival of the expedition, which he indicated would be "the 11th or 12th."
Bibliography: ORN, p. 248; Current, Lincoln and the First Shot, pp. 97-102; Nicolay and Hay, Lincoln, 4: 27-28.