This document consists of a brief summary of the special features of cataloguing monographs for two Latin American Library
sublocations: LAL-Rare and LAL-Reference. For additional information, see also the table
in "Treatment of Items and Information in Voyager Item Records, by Location.”
Treat both LAL-RARE and LAL-REF as priority locations for cataloguing.
Decisions about putting a book in the Latin American Library Rare Book location are made by the LAL bibliographers. Their decisions may be
based on the book’s rarity and research value, cost, age, and/or fragile physical condition. If you think that a book not designated for LAL-RARE
might be a candidate for this location, check with a LAL bibliographer.
- Bibliographic record:
- Books published 1801 or later: Treat as any other record.
- Books published 1800 or earlier: Consult with your trainer or Rebecca, unless you have been trained
in the rules of Descriptive Cataloging of Rare Materials (Books) -- DCRM(B).
- Holdings record: Use location code: lal,rare
- Item record:
- Create item record without barcode number.
- Use Item Type: Rare
- Physical piece:
- Do not mark title page or t.p. verso. Do not write call number or bib record number in book anywhere.
- Do not barcode.
- Enclose information in book about:
- title proper
- call number
- location RARE
- Provide printout of bib record; circle information; add “LAL RARE” to end of call number
Write information on stickup.
- Book should be hand-delivered to LAL and given to a LAL bibliographer.
Return to top of this document
Books designated LAL-REF are housed as part of the Latin American Library’s Reference collection.
- Bibliographic record: Treat as any other record.
- Holdings record: Use location code: lal,ref
- Item record: Include barcode number.
- Set Item Status as “At Bindery” when appropriate (see below, under “Physical piece”)
- Use Item Type: Ref
- Physical piece:
- Mark title page and t.p. verso as usual. Add location code REF to end of call number, right below "LAL."
- Binding and barcoding: Bind all LAL-REF paperbacks, in addition to
general candidates for binding. (See “To Bind or Not to Bind?” for more information.)
- Stamp book: “DO NOT CIRCULATE” -- towards the top of the page facing the inside back cover (the page facing p. 3 of cover,
above where a date due slip would be in a circulating book).
- Book should be placed on “RUSH/REF Monographs Only” shelf in Processing.
Draft 29 May 2003; rev. 26 March 2008, 2 November 2009
HTML document last reviewed: 2 November 2009