Calendar | Phone Book | Tulane A to Z | Webmail
Admission to Tulane School of Continuing Studies

admission: transfer credits

Students who wish to transfer credits earned at other colleges and universities must have official transcripts sent directly to the School of Continuing Studies, 125 Gibson Hall, New Orleans, LA 70118.

The School of Continuing Studies will transfer only those credits earned at another college or university which was accredited by a regional authority such as the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools at the time the courses were taken. Up to 60 credits may be transferred from a regionally accredited community or junior college. Individual academic departments at Tulane may have rules governing the transfer of credits from community or junior colleges which may affect students. For specifics, contact an academic adviser. No more than 27 credits of business coursework may be transferred to the School of Continuing Studies.

Work from such regionally accredited colleges is transferred at the value in credits/hours for which it was awarded if a grade of C- or higher was earned and if an equivalent Tulane course exists. Work from other colleges within Tulane University is transferred at face value, subject to minor differences of interpretation between divisions.

Students transferring from a school using the quarter, rather than the semester, system are awarded two-thirds of a semester hour for each quarter hour credit. The transfer of credit from institutions not belonging to a regional accrediting body is at the discretion of the School of Continuing Studies. Courses transferred from other institutions are never figured into the grade point average.

Part-time students who have credits to transfer should see an academic adviser before the end of their first semester to have their credits evaluated. Students should first check with the Records Supervisor at the School of Continuing Studies to see if their transcripts have been received.

Transfer credit requested for academic work done more than 10 years ago is subject to review. Course work from foreign universities will be referred to the International Student Office for evaluation. Students desiring transfer credit must submit official transcripts, not photocopies, from all other colleges or universities attended.

Students wishing to take courses at another institution must first receive approval from the dean's office and from the appropriate department.

Ordinarily, while enrolled at Tulane, part-time students are not permitted to take credit courses at any other university for the purpose of applying such credits toward a degree program at Tulane. Students desiring such an arrangement must obtain the approval of the dean.


quick links




Apply Online Now

Campuses Near You

Ask SCS for more info or to schedule an appointment

Tulane University School of Continuing Studies 6823 St. Charles Ave.New Orleans, LA 70118504-865-5555