This photo shows an interior of the Washington Avenue campus pottery. The
pottery building, located on Camp Street, is the only surviving old campus
building standing today.
Established in 1895, the Newcomb Pottery exhibited its wares widely and
was the winner of many awards during the first half of the twentieth
century. The sale of pottery was intended to be a source of income for
women. Pots were thrown by a male potter, then decorated by Newcomb
students and alumnae. Pottery painting students were encouraged to be
creative and produce distinctive work.
History of Newcomb College