Applicant NewEmployee Staff Faculty Supervisor PostDoc FormerEmployee


 If I do not have enough sick and vacation time to cover my Family Medical Leave, what are my options?

Tulane has a Vacation Transfer Pool designed to make additional paid leave available to staff employees who experience medical emergencies by permitting eligible employees to voluntarily surrender their accrued, but unused, vacation leave for the benefit of such other employees.  You must meet eligibility requirements to qualify for a transfer of hours from the Vacation Transfer Pool.  Please contact a WFMO Records Specialist to request a transfer of hours from the Vacation Transfer pool.

Comments were made that we should put a cap on how much one employee accept as donations, but we should not make it so that you can only donate to the pool and not to a designated employee that we choose.

 As in the past, the current policy includes a cap on the number of hours received from the Vacation Transfer Pool.  Specifically, a recipient is only eligible to receive hours while on a certified Family and Medical Leave.  The duration of FMLA leave is typically capped at 12 weeks.

How do I qualify for Family Medical Leave?

Anyone who has been employed for at least one year, and worked at least 975 hours is eligible for Family Medical Leave.

Am I eligible for Family Medical Leave to care for a family member?

You are eligible to apply for Family Medical Leave if the family members are as follows:

  • Spouse
  • Child (under the age of 18 or incapable of self care due to mental or physical disability
  • Parent

If I have to be out only partial days or sporadic days do I qualify for Family Medical Leave?

You qualify for Intermittent Family Medical Leave.  This leave entitles you to 12 weeks in a 12 month period looking back from the date the leave starts.

If I do not have enough sick and vacation time to cover my Family Medical Leave, what are my options?

If there are individuals in your department that are willing to donate vacation hours to you, they can do so by means of Vacation Transfer Policy.  You are not allowed to solicit hours.

I am out on Worker’s Compensation due to an on-the-job injury, do I have to still file for Family Medical Leave?

Family Medical Leave runs concurrent with Worker’s Compensation.  You must fill out Family Medical Leave forms while you are out on Worker’s Compensation.

Am I eligible to accrue vacation and sick leave? 

For standard 37.5-hour work week STAFF employees:  Yes, if you work 50 percent or more, or 18.75 hours or more per week, and are employed in a regular position for 7 months or longer

Employees in their introductory period (first six months of employment) are ineligible to take vacation.

For standard 40-hour work week STAFF employees:  Yes, if you work 50 percent or more, or 20 hours or more per week, and are employed in a regular position for 7 months or longer.

How much vacation and sick leave time do I accrue biweekly/monthly? 

If eligible, vacation and sick leave accumulates as follows:

Vacation:  eligible to accrue only if work 50 percent or more; if less than 50 percent of full-time, the accrual is prorated based on the actual percent of full time worked (e.g., if work 80 percent of full-time, the employee earns 80 percent of the accrual rate for the years of service worked, etc.)

  • Full-time employees (100 percent):
  • Year 1 – earn 10 days per year, or .83 day per month
  • Years 2 through 10 – earn 15 days per year, or 1.25 days per month
  • Years 11 and above – earn 20 days per year, or 1.66 days per month

Vacation accruals are capped at two times the employee’s accrual rate.  Time not taken is lost, unless prior approval for an extension is granted by HR.  Vacation time may be donated to fellow Tulane specific employees who are on an approved Family and Medical Leave.

Sick Leave:  eligible to accrue only if work 50 percent or more; if less than 50 percent of full-time, the accrual is prorated based on the actual percent of full time worked  Otherwise, all regular, full-time employees earn 7.5 hours each month (or 8 hours per month if working on a standard 40-hour work week).  There is no maximum accrual on sick leave.

What are the officially recognized University holidays?  

The University’s Holiday Calendar may be found on the HR website. 

How can I find out how much vacation and sick leave I have?   

Vacation and sick leave accruals are reflected on each employee’s pay check stub for the previous month (Example:  December’s pay check reflects vacation/sick leave time available in November.)  Any time taken off in the current month must be deducted from the time reflected on the stub.  This information may also be obtained from the employee’s departmental administrator, office manager, or otherwise primary administrative official.

Can I review my official HR file? 

Yes, once annually, but the employee must make an appointment to do so by contacting Dot Powell or Barbara Maechling. 

Can my supervisor review my official HR file? 

Yes, after making an appointment to do so with either Dot Powell or Barbara Maechling.  There must be a valid reason as to why the supervisor wishes to review the file.

Is information in my official HR file shared with prospective employers or other departments? 

The appropriate representative (hiring party) in another Tulane department with a job opening for which an employee has applied may inquire as to a candidate’s past performance evaluations and disciplinary matters.

Can I get copies of the information contained in my official HR file?    

Official Human Resources files are the property of Tulane University, but an employee may request copies of documentation appearing in his/her file by sending a written request to Dot Powell or Barbara Maechling in the Records Section of Human Resources.  Requests for an entire copy of a former/terminated employee’s file, or requests from external parties must be made in writing directly to the Office of the General Counsel on the employee’s behalf.  Once copied, the information will be forwarded to the General Counsel’s Office for dissemination to the employee.

I need to have my title, salary, or other confidential information provided to a third party. What do I do?  

Employee information will only be released to those given authority to receive such confidential information by the employee.  (See Question #8.)  The employee’s signature of authorization must appear on an official document (such as a request for verification of employment, loan application, etc.) authorizing the University to release such information.  No signature, no release.  

If I want to request an official audit of my sick leave or vacation accrual, what do I have to do? 

The employee should first try and resolve the discrepancy with his/her departmental administrator to ensure proper deductions have been recorded.  If an actual audit is deemed necessary, the employee should send a written request to Dot Powell or Barbara Maechling in the Records Section. 

How can I find out how many vacation and sick days I have accrued?

Sick and Vacation hours available are printed on your payroll check stub when you have completed your introductory period of employment.  The accrual is accurate as of the last time sheet turned in.  You can also ask your Supervisor.  This total does not include any vacation or sick time taken during the last pay period.  Therefore, to calculate your remaining time exactly, subtract vacation or sick hours taken during your last pay period from the amount shown on your payroll stub.

Why is my salary advance deducted from my paycheck?

When approved, salary may be advanced to a new employee before that has missed payroll deadline.  This amount is actually a short term, interest free loan that must be repaid by the employee.  Salary advances are deducted in full from the next available paycheck.

What are FICA, OASDI and HI?

Social Security payroll taxes are collected under authority of the Federal Insurance Contributions Act (FICA).  The payroll taxes are usually referred to as “FICA Taxes”.

The Federal Insurance Contributions Act (FICA) was enacted to provide health, pension, and disability benefits to qualified recipients.

OASDI is an acronym for Old Age and Supervisors Disability Insurance.  The maximum contribution for this insurance in 2010 is $106,800.00 at 6.2%.

HI is an acronym for Health Insurance.  There is no maximum contribution and the rate is l.45%.

FICA is deducted from your paycheck, matched dollar for dollar by your employer and the total funds are remitted to the Social Security Administration each payday.

Where do I get a blank time sheet?

Time sheets (monthly and bi-weekly) are located under Forms

Does Tulane hold back pay?

NO.  Monthly employees are paid current.  When you receive your paycheck for the month of June, you are being paid for the period June 1st through June 30th, including any adjustments from the previous month (overtime, vacation, etc)

Bi-weekly employees are held back six days.  Paychecks received on Friday represent payment for the ten-day period ending the previous Thursday.

Semi-monthly employees are paid current just as Monthly employees are.

When will my direct deposit become effective?

Immediately after we receive your authorization.

What is LTD (Long Term Disability) and why is it deducted from my paycheck?

Employees are required to participate in the Long Term Disability Plan, and the premium is deducted from the employee’s paycheck.  Contact the Benefits section of the WFMO concerning policy provisions.

If I quit am I paid for my unused vacation and sick time?

If you leave the University after six months of continuous service, you will receive pay for unused vacation time up to a maximum of two times your annual accrual.  You are not paid for unused sick time.

I am terminating my employment with the University, how will I receive my final paycheck?

If you are terminating before the 15th of the month, your check will be sent to the Workforce Management Organization.  You can either pick it up in person at 200 Broadway, Suite 120, or request the check be mailed to your designated address.

If you are terminating after the 15th of the month, your check will be direct deposited in your checking account.

Why is my taxable income different than the year-to-date income on my pay stub?

For most employees, your federal and state taxable income (Box 1 and 17) are determined by taking your gross income and subtracting your pre-tax deductions (health, parking, retirement contributions and flexible spending accounts).

Why are Medicare/Social Security wages different than my federal taxable income?

Retirement contributions are subject to Medicare/Social Security taxes. Therefore, you need to add your 403(b) deduction back to your federal taxable income to arrive at Medicare/Social Security wages.

The following questions apply to foreign nationals only:

What paperwork must all foreign nationals complete?

All foreign nationals must submit first name, last name and e-mail address to the International Tax Office for submission to Glacier to request information for determination of taxation.  Once the information is completed in Glacier, print the Tax Summary Report and all forms listed on this report for submission to the supervisor.

Is there any exemption from taxation?

All payments are subject to federal income tax withholding unless they are specifically exempted by either the U.S. tax law or by an income tax treaty.  A social security number must be obtained for treaty benefit.  A broad social security tax exemption exists for all nonresident foreign national F-1, J-1, M-1 and Q-1 visa holders who are performing services to carry out the primary purpose of the visa issuance.

What is a nonresident?

In general, J-1, Q-1 non-student visa holders for two years,  F-1, J-1, M-1, Q-1 visa holders for five years, H1B visa holders present in the U.S. less than 183 days the first year and any dependents of these visa holders eligible to work.

What is the tax rate?

Payments requiring federal income tax withholding are taxed at graduated withholding rates.

Is tax withholding required?

Section 1441 of the Internal Revenue code requires withholding federal tax at the statutory rates for all individuals and entities deemed to be nonresident.






Contact us via email

Website Feedback Survey

Tulane_Home_Page Benefits Compensation Forms Jobs Payroll Policy Staff_Handbook WFMO_Team Privacy